Thursday 26 July 2018

How Do You Date?





So, here's a question.... How do you date? 

It seems like a really dumb question from a woman in her early 30's, but it's something that has me stumped. I've been single a couple of months now and as much as I'm not entirely over my last relationship I know it's something I'm going to have to do. Nobody wants to be on their own permanently do they?

Most of my friends are coupled up, married and have children. I've never got that far with anyone until my ex. (We're not talking about him today)
So, my last few single friends aren't leaving things up to chance meetings anymore, it's all about the online thing. 

I think there's still a stigma attached to online dating. Something that seems a little sad or desperate. But in a world where everyone works a million hours a week and is still trying to achieve the perfect body, friendships and lifestyle, when does anyone have time to meet someone the normal way anymore?? 

I did go on a date a few weeks ago. Set up by a friend of mine. The guy was a sweetheart but I had one drink, made my excuses and left.... only to cry all the way home. Far too soon after said break up. But now I'm seriously considering trying to 'Get Back Out There' as my friends so lovingly put it.
I am missing the attention early dating brings, the cute, unexpected texts and basically feeling like someone likes or fancies me. The break up has really dented my confidence in myself and my self esteem is pretty low too. 

Now, I'm not daft here, I know that throwing myself into something full on is not the right thing to do; it won't heal my heart or the hurt from what's been happening. But, surly it will be a fun distraction and a little male attention can't hurt can it?
But how do I go about it? I'm one of those people who's unlikely to approach someone in a bar or supermarket. I rarely go anywhere it's appropriate to flirt with the opposite sex and to be fair, my resting bitch face is strong, so I don't think it's likely that I'll be approached either. 
So, does that really just leave the online dating apps that said friends have been raving about? 

I tried online dating a long time ago and didn't last that long. I got put off with the vulgar messages and the dull one-liners. I lasted about a week before I deleted my profile and carried on waiting for Mr Right to appear all by himself. Apparently though, I'd been doing things wrong. There's a block button.... who knew? Your profile needs to include things you're looking for and what you're not and the photos need to be just right! It seems a bit complicated to me, but I am seriously considering taking the plunge once more if only to see what's out there. 

I am a little nervous about all this. There's a little bit of guilt I carry that it still feels like I'm cheating on my ex; even though there's not a chance we'll be reuniting. And like I've already said, my confidence isn't what it was. What if I don't get any 'hits'.... is that even the right word? Or what if the only people that take an interest resemble a potato? I'm not sure that's going to do my self esteem many favours either. 
My friend, who has now appointed Herself as my online dating fairy godmother, has of course dismissed all these fears with a wave of her wand and her serious WTF face. She has reliably informed me that Of Course people will be interested plus talking online means you can get a feel for someone before meeting them for the first time. It's a little like blogging, the anonymity of being behind a keyboard gives you more courage to talk or ask about the things you want to know without the fear of judgement. 

So, the question remains girls, do I take the plunge and dip my toe into the murky waters of online love? Or do I leave it all up to chance? Any advice you want to throw my way is of course welcome. Give me your tips about profiles, the best sites or if you think I should steer well clear!

I'll keep you all posted of any developments.

Love CB x

Today's Quote: 'If you don't try, you'll never know.'


No comments:

Post a Comment